CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jamie's Graduation


I CAN'T BELIEVE JAMIE IS GRADUATED!! I am still trying to be in denial, but his future is coming at me full force. College is just around the corner and trying to let go is nagging me every day. This is probably the hardest thing thus far in parenting I have experienced because you don't know what you should help with and what you should let them figure out for themselves. If you are like me, you learn best by failing and figuring things out on your own....I'm not sure what Jamie's like yet. He's always been very obedient, but I can feel him pushing the rules and trying to break free. (I wish my rebellions were as bad as his:))

Graduation was bitter sweet for me. I was so proud of him and ecstatic that this day had finally come but was disappointed that we weren't able to truly celebrate this day with him. Unfortunately things with his Mom and us have been very strained for a while so we decided not to mix the celebrations this time. It's the first time ever we haven't invited her to our planned festivities. We decided we would have a party the weekend before with my side of the family so that when she came Jamie could spend that time with her and not have to choose who to be with. Needless to say we didn't see him at all the week of graduation. It was very difficult for me to know that we have sacrificed so much to get him through school and been there for him every day but couldn't celebrate that day with him. I got through it but wished we would have had more pictures, more conversations, more time....then I humbled myself and realized that Shannon probably feels like that every day....so I let them have the short time together that they did and remained extremely proud of our son from afar. He impresses me more and more every day. I get very emotional about him when I think of how far he's come and all the possibilities he has in his future. I hope I can be the kind of mom he needs and also the kind of example that will inspire him to be a better person. I know I am very inspired by him every day....

4 comments:

deveney said...

Congratulations Jamie! Good luck with everything the future holds for you.

PS...cute shirt, Ana! :)

Anonymous said...

Can't believe all this is happening! Good luck Jamie!

Melissa said...

You have such a beautiful family! I hope Jamie realizes how you speak about him. I would LOVE to read my mother or father speak about me the way you do him. You're an awesome mom and I'm sure you helped mold such an awesome boy :) I can only imagine how hard it is to not spend his "special day" with him. It truly was big of you guys to do it the week before. Very un-selfish, but tough I'm sure!

doodlebug said...

Looks like it all went well. Can't believe he's graduated! What a great kid!