CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Scholarships

Abuela came to visit for Jamie's graduation! We were so happy to have her here...it had been almost 2 years since she had visited. I was scared she didn't like me anymore because she wasn't coming to see us. But as I soon found out why, I realized she is the most humble, selfless woman ever. She had been saving her money these last 2 years so that she could help Jamie through school. She took us to dinner the last night she was in town and awarded all the kids "scholarships". Madelyn and Kai got $20 a piece for graduation and then she gave Jamie $2000. I was in shock as well as was Jamie. My mother-in-law doesn't make hardly any money being a school teacher in Puerto Rico and she has to work very hard for what she does earn. It was a huge sacrifice for her to give that money to her grandson. I felt very grateful and a little bad that I hadn't made more effort over the last 2 years to include her in our lives. I decided to turn over a new leaf and try to do better at involving her with our events and build a stronger relationship with her and the kids. With her help, Jamie was able to get the majority of his tuition paid for to attend BYU. He qualified for a grant through FASFA and was also awarded a scholarship through the Air Force Aid Society. His grandpa Michael (Shannon's Dad) gave him $500 which will also help immensely. We are so thankful for Jamie's hard work and for all the people that love him enough to help him. I can't believe he is off to college in less than 2 months.

1 comments:

deveney said...

How nice. And, the little certificates to go along with are cute!